Friday, March 25, 2011

17: {Tour}

One
They look at me with contempt. I killed Carama. Not that she was going to win, but people think desperate things sometimes. Especially when their loved ones are in danger.

Three
I didn't know any of the tributes. They both died on the first day. Here, I get through my speech as quick as I can. They seem to want to get it over with too.

Four
I know more than anyone, that if not for me, Valzen would probably be standing here instead. I read my bit quickly, not making eye contact with anyone in the crowd. Before I leave, I see her family. The little boy stares at me with the same gray eyes and a little chill goes down my back. Those eyes will haunt me forever. I walk away quickly. Back on the train, I finger her knife. I have to stop thinking of it as "her" knife. It's mine now.

Five
I don't know much about them. I remember seeing the boy in training. He was fumbling around with the bows and arrows, but I don't say anything about that.

Six
The food here is good. That's all I remember. I don't really want to think about the rest. The boy who was eaten by the birds was named Omay. I feel guilty for not knowing his name until now.

Seven
I killed the girl from this district. But it was not out of malice. It was pity. Well, partly anyway. They seem to understand. I tell them that she was an excellent archer, and that her arrows took out many of the mutt birds. Her name was Lell.

Eight
The girl from 8 died in the bird attack. She was the second to fall. I feel like I should say something profound, but I finish my speech with a dry "Thank you."

Nine
This district is the worst. Kirwan and Thella. They're everywhere. In the looks of the crowd, in the eyes of their families. I've prepared a bit at the end for each of them, but it doesn't seem to do them justice. Thella first. "Thella was....well, she was one step removed from an angel. She was wonderful, and kind, and sweet. I never heard her say anything bad about a single person. I wish....I wish that she had never had to face these Games. I wish that she could have grown old and had a wonderful life." It sounds horribly rehearsed. But those words are the truth. Now Kirwan. I clear my throat. "I have only one thing to say about Kirwan. He was....he was beautiful. Thank you." I have to turn away to keep all of Panem from seeing my tears.

Ten
The girl from this district tried to kill me. I mutilated her hand. And that is that. So, the people of District Ten are not fans of Ayla Cetteras.

Eleven
I watched these tributes get murdered before my own eyes. I tried to save them, but I could not. The girl saved my life, though. She told me to run. To run before she burst into flames. I say all this, and I can see the tears in the eyes and on the cheeks of the crowd. I tell them that she would have made a wonderful ally. What I don't tell them is that her burned face will be in my dreams forever.

Twelve
This one passes in a blur. People in Twelve are not hopeful for their tributes. Hope is long gone from this gray place.

Two
This is supposed to be my greatest pride. I have won. I am their tribute, their victor. I will have to mentor the new tributes next year, and after that, and that, and that, until one of my pupils survives to take my place. There is applause. Thunderous applause. But I've learned that most applause is not good. Looking out over my district, I know that there will be hard times ahead. There will be Wyss. There will be food and drink and songs and parties that last for three days. But there will also be nightmares. There will be seeing fresh new children slaughtered each year. There will be waking up to an empty bed beside me. Because I have made my decision. There will be no marriage for me. No children. I cannot run the risk of giving life to someone who could so easily be killed before they can go to work. Before they fall in love. And now, I have to hold the tears back, because Panem wants to see someone who is victorious on their television screens. Not a wounded, broken girl.

Thirteen
The image on the screen freezes. The face of the victor, her red hair tousled by the wind, her face covered in makeup, delivering a speech to her district like a martyr's death words.
Boots clunk on the floor as the man gets up from his chair and walks towards the screen. When he gets there, he stops, turns, and points to the image.
"You may not want someone from District Two, but I want her."
The woman nods. "It will be arranged."

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am an energetic, fun loving girl who enjoys reading, running, and hanging out with my Blogger and real life buddies. I am a fledgling writer (mainly because I suffer from a critical condition of writer's block), who's favorite genres to write are fantasy, sci-fi, and sometimes historical fiction. I also am a BIG daydreamer, and can often be found by a window, fantasizing about a story that I have seen or read. I am also a huge quotist, meaning that I randomly shout out lines from shows and movies that most people haven't seen. Names I have copyrighted are: Akire, Kayana, Azza, Stella, Zyll(ah), Ayla, Kirwan, Jetstorm, Burnfang, and Flickerclaw.