Saturday, February 12, 2011

3: {The Capitol}

There's a whoosh of steel as the train slows to a halt. I open my eyes from my rest. I haven't been able to sleep, not since the tall, glittering spires of the Capitol appeared on the horizon last night, at about 11:00. I've been avoiding everyone so far. We've all been eating together, but there's an awkward silence that hangs over the table, and we all avoid each others' eyes. Kirrah makes an effort to bring us all together, but Brutus and Enobaria have been spending most of their time strategising (and probably placing bets on the both of us), and Ebb--well, I have no idea what Ebb's been doing these past few days.
Me, I've been practicing my knots and snares. Aside from knives, knots are the only thing that gets me. And in the arena, setting a snare can be the difference between having a meal and starving to death. I found some rope in a compartment--none in my room, though, just in case I try to hang myself instead of going to the Games--and I've been trying out loops that I saw in past Games.
I get up out of bed, and pull off my nightclothes. I pick out a pair of fitted brown pants and a black short-sleeve top. I zip up my black boots and go out into the corridor. I find Kirrah waiting for me outside my cabin.
"I was just about to come in and get you," she says with a big smile. "Yeah," I say. "I saw the Capitol out my window this morning. Are we almost there?" The question sounds stupid right after I say it. Of course we're almost there. But Kirrah just smiles and gives me a little nod, sending her bright blue hair bouncing. "Come along, come along," she says. "Time to get you to your room!"

~~~

My room is huge. A king size, fluffy white bed, large windows (though the glass is about five inches thick), a soft rug, and most amazingly of all, a shower that responds to your voice commands and has I-don't-know-how-many options for water, bubbles, and soap.
The first thing I do when I get there is take my stone heart out of my pocket and place it on the dresser table. Then I change my mind and snatch it back. This time it goes in my breast pocket, over my real heart. A heart that may be punctured before night falls on the first day of the Games.
Don't think about it. Go somewhere else. Talk to someone. But the problem is that there's no one to talk to, besides a neglecting mentor and a gloomy fellow tribute. But they're better than no one, especially since I want to develop a friendship, however temporary, with Ebb.
I open the doors of my room. The main room is furnished with soft couches and a large chestnut colored table. Enobaria is sitting at this table. Ebb and Brutus are probably both sleeping in their rooms.
I walk over to the table and pull out a chair, but I don't sit down. Enobaria is picking at her famous teeth. Her teal eyes watch me, and I watch her back. "So," she finally says. It's the first word that she had said to me since I met her. I am suddenly filled with anger. "What do you mean, 'so'?" I snap back at her. "You're supposed to be teaching me how to survive, and instead you're just sitting around talking to Brutus! Do you want me to die?!" She doesn't seem that surprised my my outburst. I guess she's had to deal with unstable tributes before. She just studies me, and I feel like slapping her, but I know that that's a bad idea.
Eventually she speaks. "The first thing you've got going for you is a temper. That's good. I like that." Was that a compliment or an insult? I'm trying to figure it out in my head while she's talking to me. "Temper is good in the arena. It helps give you an edge. But it won't get you far with sponsors. So tone it down."
"Sorry," I mumble.
"Better," she says. "Your stylist and prep team should be here in an hour. Go get ready."
"I am ready." She cocks an eyebrow at me. "Really."
She sighs, and opens her mouth to say something, but she's cut off by the sound of the door swinging open. Kirrah enters. "Okay Ayla," she grins, "let's get you in style!"
Yay. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am an energetic, fun loving girl who enjoys reading, running, and hanging out with my Blogger and real life buddies. I am a fledgling writer (mainly because I suffer from a critical condition of writer's block), who's favorite genres to write are fantasy, sci-fi, and sometimes historical fiction. I also am a BIG daydreamer, and can often be found by a window, fantasizing about a story that I have seen or read. I am also a huge quotist, meaning that I randomly shout out lines from shows and movies that most people haven't seen. Names I have copyrighted are: Akire, Kayana, Azza, Stella, Zyll(ah), Ayla, Kirwan, Jetstorm, Burnfang, and Flickerclaw.