Wednesday, February 9, 2011

1: {The Reaping}

The sunlight is so bright that it blinds me almost to the core. It's the morning of the reaping for the 68th Hunger Games. A fight to the death, all broadcast on live TV. The reaping is held in front of the mayor's house. Here in District 2, our mayor has the grandest house of all. It's got fountains, and cobblestone walkways, and turrets, towers, turtles, and all other sorts of things that begin with T.
But today, no one stops to admire the beauty of the house. Instead, we're all watching the mayor himself. And our representative, Kirrah Olity, since she'll be the one to pull the tributes' names out of the two ornately carved stone bowls in front of her.
I stand in the crowd, wearing my best dress. It's District 10-made, the next best thing to the Capitol's garments, but it's much better than the rags that the kids in the poorer districts wear. The dress is blue and white, with a pattern of flowers. I feel a bit like a china tea set, but I didn't tell my brother that. The dress was my mom's, and I've worn it for every reaping I've been in. And I've been eligible for three. This will be my fourth.
My name is Ayla Cetteras. I live in District 2 with my older brother, Wyss, who works in the stone mines but can't tell me anything about it. The rest of my family is dead. My mother died when I was ten, giving birth to a sister who didn't last through the night. My father was killed in a mining accident when I was twelve. My siblings, except for Wyss, have all been dead since before I can remember.
Wyss is nineteen. He takes care of me, lives with me and works to support us. Me, I train. I've been training to be a Career ever since I could walk. In District 2, it's a great honor to be chosen for the Games, and no one can argue that I'm not fit for it. I can handle a sword better than any girl my age, and I've been developing my skills with the bow and arrow. I've even got a chance to fire a gun. Wyss gave me clearance. The only thing that I can't fight with is a knife. It's not like I haven't gotten a chance to train with a knife or a dagger, I just can't do it. My body doesn't respond the way it should.
And this year, there's less eligible girls than ever. There was a big bunch of them last year who were all eighteen, so they're out, and several more were killed in a training accident. So this year, I'm almost guaranteed to get picked. And there Kirrah Olity is, up on the mayor's balcony, the bowl in front of her. There are several cameras in the crowd, all pointing towards her. The whole thing is being taped and will be broadcast to all of Panem later this evening. Kirrah smiles benignly at the crowd.
"Let's get started!" she says in her high-pitched Capitol accent. "First the girls, then the boys. That's the way it goes, in order of importance!" This draws a mild laugh from the crowd, and the mayor makes an effort to smile, but we're all waiting for the names to be called. Kirrah reaches into the first one and pulls out a slip of paper. She unfolds it, then holds it up high.
"Ayla Cetteras!"
That's my name. That's my name. I blink three times, and I know that the cameras are on me. Wyss, standing beside me, gives me a gentle shove. I lurch forward, then regain my wits and start to make my way for the crowd, which parts in front of me like a wave. This is the time when people will volunteer. But no one does. It's just me who's making noise, as I climb the stone steps up to the balcony.
When I reach the top, Kirrah gives me a big hug for the cameras, then deposits my paper into my hand with a flourish. It's a tradition in 2 to give the tributes their slip of paper. Supposed to be good luck, though I can do just fine on my own. Still, there's a sick feeling at the back of my throat that doesn't go away, even after I sit down in one of the chairs beside the mayor.
Then Kirrah calls out the male tribute. "Ebb Quiren!" I don't know Ebb that well, but what I do know is that if you cross him, you'll end up injured or worse. He's a big guy, with dark hair and eyes. He doesn't talk much. At least I'll have him as my ally, even if it's for a short time. The tributes from Districts 1, 2, and 4 are traditionally allies, at least until tensions start to rise. Then no one knows what's going to happen.
Ebb climbs up the steps, a little more steady than I was. No one volunteers for him either. I guess that the rest of the district thinks he's ready for the Games. I offer a small smile when he reaches the balcony, but he just stares back at me and says nothing. He takes his slip in silence.
I realize that the rest of the people of 2 are cheering for us, and I force my smile back on my lips. I wave to the crowd and Kirrah grabs one of my hands and one of Ebb's. She holds them up.
"Ladies and gentlemen of Panem, the District 2 tributes in the 68th Hunger Games!"
Let the fun begin.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Great story, but sadface that I can't adopt Pree! I have a special place in my heart for the District 11 people, 'cuz there all oppressed and whatnot. *sighs* Oh, well. I shall just have to see how this game unfolds. Luck to Ayla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would let you, but it kind of messes up the plot. I'll try to keep Pree alive for a while though, if possible...the people to watch are Kirwan, Valzen, and Niello though.
    District 2 is my favorite district! (Despite practically all of them being physco-maniac-killing-machine-sketches...)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am an energetic, fun loving girl who enjoys reading, running, and hanging out with my Blogger and real life buddies. I am a fledgling writer (mainly because I suffer from a critical condition of writer's block), who's favorite genres to write are fantasy, sci-fi, and sometimes historical fiction. I also am a BIG daydreamer, and can often be found by a window, fantasizing about a story that I have seen or read. I am also a huge quotist, meaning that I randomly shout out lines from shows and movies that most people haven't seen. Names I have copyrighted are: Akire, Kayana, Azza, Stella, Zyll(ah), Ayla, Kirwan, Jetstorm, Burnfang, and Flickerclaw.